Monday, November 12, 2007

My Experiences (Literary Analysis)

Behind the Front
June 19, 1917

I Paul Baumer am nineteen years old and I now will tell a story of my events. I as well my fellow comrades have fought endlessly and now rest five miles from the battlefront. I have had little to no sleep in the past two weeks and food has been a lifesaver. Our cook Ginger has made food rations for a hundred-fifty men but only 80 have survived the tiring war. In this time of war I am fraught with peril but this is the best moment I have had since. Now me as well as my surviving companions read and write letters to family and the few that have lovers. I have also met a man who I consider my father in war; his name is Stanislaus Katczinky. I now go to visit friend who has had his leg amputate and who exerts a livid mentality. I now tell you; through these past days I have met new people and have endured the hardships of war. I can safely come to say that these past days have been one of the best days of my life in war even though they may not sound very entertaining. I feel free to do things I want and I finally have the time to read the worries of my family. I have become close to my schoolmates and companions through all this harsh episodes of war. Through this experience I have come to realize that this war is futile in a sense that there is no end to the death of innocent soldiers. Not only has this war taken the life of those who fight but those who are not involved with war. I feel humbled as well as angered through my own actions. I do not know why, but I tremble with fear when I see those dear to me die for the mistakes of others. This is all I can now I must go and eat with my friends and enjoy my precious hours as we are always on the eve of battle. I Paul Baumer have learnt the many casualties given up as a result of war. These casualties are a result of the mistakes of others. I know now that I must fight to protect those that I find dear in this cruel world and punish those in life whose only sole purpose is to hurt others. This week I have made new friends and idols in which I have learned much from.



“Katczinky, the leader of our group, shrewd, cunning, and hard-bitten, forty years of age, with the face of soil, blue eyes, bent shoulders, and a remarkable nose for dirty weather, good food, and soft jobs”(Remarque 3-4).

Cunning- clever: showing inventiveness and skill

“Kemmerich nods. I cannot bear to look at his hands, they are like wax. Under the nails is the dirt of the trenches, black like poison. It strikes me that these nails will continue to grow like lean fantastic cellar-plants long after Kemmerich breathes no more” (Remarque 15).
Poison- substances that can cause damage, illness, or death to organisms, usually by chemical reaction or other activity on the molecular scale


War is an entity that does not coexist with other aspects of live, but instead comes to harm others causing corruption due to its constant reoccurrence within the world. This aspect is demonstrated within the cartoon through a bomb depicted as a boomerang coming back to a man. The boomerang bomb illustrates the fact that war cannot simply be thrown away and discerned by humankind; however, it is instead an entity that causes destruction. Consequently this political cartoon symbolizes the words of anarchy upon the man who is trying to avoid being hit by the bomb hurling towards him. This aspect of the cartoon comes to show in respect with war that corruption can be extracted from even the best of people. Thus in analysis, war is a repugnant and repetitive devastation that occurs solely due to the mistakes of others causing the corruption of many.



No time for Romance
June 27, 1917

I report in again, and I have just barely endured the harsh training that has been put upon my in these times of war. Himmelstones is fiend in a fact that he has not let me and my friends have any real time to get together. Now I go and see Kemmerich who is becoming weaker by the moment. I feel sorry for my comrade who I felt was fighting by my side just yesterday. I have tried tirelessly to comfort him but he has seemed to lose the will to live. That is why….. I must say that he has died. I remember that moment when those corrupt doctors would do nothing to help my dying friend, but now it is truly farewell. This past week has been fraught with sweat from the harsh training that I have endured. I have ascended to a new level of fatigue in which I cannot move my legs to walk as I write this entry in a sorrowful state of mind in which I have been humbled by death of a good friend of mine. I am tired and have full hatred for my training instructor Himmelstones. As I write this my friends are planning to catch him off guard and tie him up in a bag. This is all I must say for now as I must go and eat the little food that has been given to me. In my solemn mentality I must say that I have learned to adapt to the many casualties around me. I cannot let the death of others alter my way life. This is now the way of life that I must endure and I must fight for my own life as well my many friends around me. Family has come to become a second matter but still nonetheless important. This I tell you is a test of my own will and physical abilities and it is a harsh but true aspect that I have learnt this past week.


“At first astonished, then embittered, and finally indifferent, we recognized that what matters is not the mind but the boot brush, not intelligence but the system, not freedom but drill” (Remarque 21-2).

Embittered- To arouse bitter feelings

“My limbs move supplely, I feel my joints strong, I breathe the air deeply” (Remarque 33).

Supplely- Moving and bending with agility; limber


Oftentimes in war countries wish to emphasize their superiority towards others and reach out to conquer other nations in order to benefit a self gain for their country. This aspect is demonstrated within the political cartoon through the hand reaching out towards another land. This aspect of the carton solely serves to demonstrate the fact that Germany wishes to overtake many lands in the times of World War I. Likewise, on the hand the word, “Germany,” is engraved. This solely serves to represent that Germany is a totalitarian country in which they wish to take over the rest of the world in order to gain status and power within the world. Thus in final analysis, it would seem that countries demonstrate their superiority through conquering other countries through brute force.



New Recruits
August 3, 1917

Over half of the Second Company has gone and died in this terrible warfare. Many young recruits are arriving as a result of this terrible misfortune. I must say that these recruits are inexperienced and have never had a real experience of war. They remind me of myself two years ago when I was once excited to be a true man and go to war, but little do they know the horrifying repercussions that it has upon the mind, body and soul. This makes me think that when innocent or corrupt souls are given power they can misuse that power that is given to them. Himmelstones my Corporal fits this as he is a small little man who abuses his power and solely lives to destroy my self value. I dislike his crude and corrupt mentality as I do not see any rationality in his behavior. Overall men are undeniably insignificant in times of war. I have come too see that war has brought out the worst in the men around me and I can safety say that I have become that way also. This is the end of my third entry for now I wish to eat the food that Kat has brought us. This week I have had no communications with my family though I have seen that stress can extract the worst of a man. I have experienced this first hand and will now explain to the new recruits what this means for I am seasoned compared to them in the likes of warfare.



“O dark, musty platoon huts, with the iron bedsteads, the chequered bedding, the lockers and stools!” (Remarque 42).

Chequered- patterned with alternating squares of color

“We had been allotted to one of the recently formed regiments” (Remarque 46).

Allotted- to divide or distribute by share or portion; distribute or parcel out; apportion




Many times when war arises, nations can be tied up in meaningless arguments that have no end ultimately resulting in a clash of differences in order to gain power for themselves. This aspect is demonstrated within the political cartoon through the fact that all the nations are holding the United States up by a rope. This illustration within the cartoon demonstrates the fact that the United Nations are struggling as they do not know what to do in times of war. Consequently it is seen within the image that the rest of the world is shown on the jackets of the men trying to hold the United States in one place. Similarly this comes to show that many different nations are trying to bind the United States in order to gain power for themselves during World War I. Overall when times of war arise, nations try to gain power politically as well as forcefully as a result of endless arguments.


Danger Arises
August 10, 1917

The air is cold and it is dark out. As I am writing this entry my company as well as I is on our way to the front. We can smell and taste the crude taste of the smoke from the smoke of the shells in the distance. I am used to this feeling as I have been seasoned to warfare though I can see the new recruits shivering in their place. I can hear Kat in the background explaining to the recruits the difference between the artillery used in combat. I think to myself if it is really worth it to fight to recklessly against men we do not know. I hear shells bombarding us and try to comfort a recruit who is near me though I know it is futile. I can see Detering my fellow comrade suffering from the sight of dying horses. I wish I could share the pain with him and I can see how he wishes to end their suffering but cannot risk the death of another comrade. As we hide I realize that we are in a cemetery and hide myself under a coffin. Kat and Kropp have also joined me as well as the new recruit. We now wait it out until the firing stops; the battle has ended… I am saddened to see that the lives of five innocent soldiers have been taken. These young comrades could have been saved if they were taught only the basics in survival tactics. It has seemed that our country is handpicking many young men regardless whether they fight or not. They do this knowing that they are only sending them to their death. It angers me to find that this is a valid argument due to its truth. This week has been like none other in the past and has explicitly described to me all that I have fear that war may bring. I have learned that you must possess basic skills in survival in order to remain alive in these times of war. This is one aspect that Corporal Himmelstones may have covered very well as I hate to say it. This I admit is the truth and I hope that many others will learn to value their lives.


“These branches might seem gay and cheerful were not cannon embowered there” (Remarque 52).

Embowered- To enclose in; the act of enclosing an object in a small space

“It is the moaning of the world, it is the martyred creation, wild with anguish, filled with terror, and groaning” (Remarque 62).

Martyred- To inflict great pain on; torment.


In times of war, high ranked Captains as well as generals misuse their power and display an attitude of importance as they do not use the power of their positions in an authorized manner. The cartoon displays this through the conversation at the bottom between the soldier and his commander. This aspect of the cartoon reveals the truth that Captains are not interested in the general welfare of their soldiers but instead worried about unimportant matters that only pertain to the self benefit of themselves. Likewise this is further reinforced by the shells and bombs bursting in the background. This reoccurring image within the cartoons reinforces the importance of war and serves as a foil to the imprudent manner of captains. Superiors think war to be insufficient to their own needs thus they do not take full responsibility into the actions that they put into it.


Everlasting Friendship
August 17, 1917

A week has passed since that dreadful experience at the front. We talk about our futures as well as what we would do if this war were to stop. Many of us had common things to say such getting drunk and meeting some girls. I realize though that we will never be able to enjoy such precious moments of freedom. If I had the time right now I would go visit my family and check on my sister and mother. As we talk about our common interests Himmelstones arrives to illustrate his superiority to us but is instead received with a mocking attitude from Tjaden. When I look at this demonstration of a false superiority I feel that Tjaden in correct in a sense that we should bow to those who do not deserve power. This week has given us a chance to really understand the many aspects brought along with war. This past week I have learned that there are no prosperities within war. This I had fully experienced the week before at the front; however, I have truly comprehended what this meant this past week. Through these solemn hours I have seen that war only brings death and loss for the minor gain of a political advance within the world. To superiors, the lives of pawns such as I and my comrades are only used as means to achieve this political advance. This is I why I have learned that there is no escaping death if it is in your orders.



“But it is merely pensiveness” (Remarque 86).

Pensiveness- expressing or revealing thoughtfulness, usually marked by some sadness

“I make for the door of the shed and fall head over heels over one of the scuttering geese” (Remarque 93).

Scuttering- To move with a clattering, scurrying sound









In times of war for justice to prevail, international war must be prevented in an orderly fashion in which violence does not take over. This definite characteristic of war is presented within the political through a man named Woodrow Wilson, the twenty-eighth president, who must steer his way towards justice. This aspect of the cartoon acts a ploy to show how the American President must prevent unnecessary warfare in order to achieve proper justice. Similarly rocks are shown on both sides of the cartoon which serve to be the obstacles the Wilson must overcome. The rock illustrated within the cartoon serve to represent the aggressiveness of the Germans as well as that of the other nations that America must overcome. Overall war in many cases should be a last resort in order to achieve justice and piece within society.


Only Death…
August 23, 1917

Fall is arriving and we have arrived at the front once again. I cannot say what will happen only that I am terrified for my life. As the shells fly over us in the trenches, rats eat our only supply of food. We try to figure a way in which we can outsmart these terrible rodents from gnawing at our food. The many men in the company are all huddled up in this small trench. Some grow sick from claustrophobia and must leave the trench. I am estimating that it has been three days now and there is endless fire. Many of the recruits around me have gone numb and turned green. I myself am fatigued from a lack of sleep as I have lost my sense of time. We have now overtaken the French trenches and now survive of their canned food. Many have died, and I do not who remains alive….
We now hold the trenches and I have learned that only thirty-two men survive out of the hundred-fifty that were sent. Haie a comrade of mine is near death from a back wound. I feel guilty that I am not in his position. This week has been treacherous and I do not know why, but I am filled with sorrow and agony. I must say again in this entry of my journal that I have learned that war is merciless and that there is no end to it. We men serve as pawns in the mishaps of others to right the wrong. Friendship is the only real thing that makes us men stronger to face the treachery of war. I have also learned that friendship has also made us soft-hearted in these harsh times of war.





“We toss the bits of rat over the parapet and again lie in wait” (Remarque 103).

Parapet- a defensive wall or elevation, as of earth or stone, in a fortification.

“We are gradually benumbed” (Remarque 107).

Benumbed- To make numb, especially by cold.








Many times when war occurs, it leads to the corruption within individuals consequently resulting in the devastation of many around the world. This theme is captivated by the cartoon through the three ghost-like figures standing over a battlefield displaying a sense of gore. This aspect of the cartoon illustrates all the tribulations that are a result of unneeded warfare. Likewise the cartoon further depicts these problems as, “Famine,” “Anarchy,” and, “Plague,” which are embedded upon the cloaks of the ghost-like creatures. Concurrently, this characteristic of the cartoon displays the ill-natured problems causing an ultimate devastation upon the community. Through this, in final analysis it is seen that worldwide devastation has its toll upon the populations when wars arise.










Rest
August 30, 1917

We have earned a well-deserved rest and it really has been the time of our lives. Himmelstones has also been kinder to us in a sense that he has made us food to eat. I look at the posters of girls on windows and remember the real life and what it feels like to admire someone. Now is not the time to think of war as I want to enjoy myself alongside with my friends. I am happy for once in this time of war as we swim in a canal naked flirting with girls. This has been a carefree time in which has given us time to enjoy ourselves as normal people would do. I now visit my family and feel awkward walking in as I have not seen them for such a long time. I greet my mother who is sick in bed as well my sister. I try on my old clothes which are quite small for me as I have grown in the army. As I depart I give a farewell to my family who I care very much for. I tremble with fear as I must now explain to Kemmerich’s mother how he died. The worst had happened as she blamed the death of her own son on me. I could understand her pain but it was hurtful when she said that I should have died alongside with him. I return home once again knowing that this will probably be the last time that I will ever see my mom due to her sickness. As I am writing this I am crying because I love my mother so dearly. Knowing this I know I must leave briefly after not seeing her so long due to this spiteful war. Oh how I hate this war. I have learned the many lasting side affects of war as it gives no time to spend time with those you love. Friends and family always must come first, but war alters this flow to another priority. This priority is the will to fight for your country whether you die or not in the process. This I tell you is the sad truth about war which I have learned over the past two years.


“How supple their movements are” (Remarque 148).

Supple- bending readily without breaking or becoming deformed; pliant; flexible

“I recognize the characteristic outline of the Dolbeberg, a jagged comb, springing up precipitously from the limits of the forest” (Remarque 154-5).

Precipitously- extremely or impassably steep









The lives of individuals typically become harsh as a result of warfare as one must endure ruthless living standards if he or she is drafted into the military. As shown in the cartoon a man is trying his best to shield himself from the exploding shells thrust into the sky violently. Similarly the man is shown within the cartoon trying his best to keep himself from being cut by the barbed wire protruding above him. This aspect of the cartoon comes to demonstrate the dangers that come alongside with war. Thus in final analysis, the living standards of those within wartime significantly drop thus posing a dangerous threat that can possibly be fatal.





End of Break
September 6, 1917

This week has been the same as last, though we have had drill routines to get back in shape before approaching the front once again. We play card games and other recreational games on our last day relieved from the front. I now bid a final farewell to my mother from my heart as I must make my leave now. I do not look forward towards the future, because all it holds in store is death and nothing else. I am saddened that I must leave my family so urgently as a result of war. I have learnt that in war there is no relief and that family must be acknowledged. My friends and I must use one another to get ahead in times of war. We act as brothers in these times with no second thoughts to risk our lives to save others.




“They have dysentery; furtively many of them display the blood-stained tails of their shirts” (Remarque 190).

Dysentery- an infectious disease marked by inflammation and ulceration of the lower part of the bowels, with diarrhea that becomes mucous and hemorrhagic.


“That I have looked for as the only possibility of existence after this annihilation of all human feeling” (Remarque 194).

Annihilation- The act or process of extermination






During times of war the order of society is skewed and as a result it can lead to the disorder within the world and bring innocent victims into a situation of devastation. This crucial idea is demonstrated within the political cartoon through the figures of two soldiers fighting each other mercilessly. This dominating aspect within the cartoon exemplifies the devastation that is brought alongside with war among with the many other downfalls it presents. Similarly these downfalls are presented by the innocent woman who is shown to be wedged between the two fighting soldiers. This central atmosphere of the cartoon demonstrates that war serves to bring only harm to innocent individuals that do collaborate with the violence of war. Thus in conclusion, it is seen that war serves as an entity to evoke disorder into community thus bringing innocent individuals into a deadly atmosphere.


No Man’s Land
September 13, 1917


I have returned to the front only to be welcomed with a gruesome sight with dead bodies. I feel sick in my mind to see all these dead bodies on the ground and on the trees. I am lost and I have lost my nerve. I now am in between to lines of fire in No Man’s Land and do not know what I am to do. I have been pinned down by the gunfire above my head. I feel abandoned knowing that there is no way I could escape this. I have gone mad in these past hours talking to the dead corpse near me… Finally as twilight arrives I can see the helmets of my own men. I am saved… I now explain to Kat what had happened and how I had experienced No Man’s Land. No Man’s Land is an area of land which separates two opposing forces. One would never want to venture into such an area as it is impossible to know whether or not other enemies wait at the other side. This is the explicit truth I have learned throughout my experience this week. I have also grown akin to my comrades from being with them for so long. I feel obliged to them as they have just saved my life.


“Tjaden, just you run along to the latrine quick, and get your head clear, so that you don’t that you don’t talk like a two-year old.” (Remarque 203).

Latrine- a toilet or something used as a toilet, as a trench in the earth in a camp, or bivouac area.

“That is the result of all this leave, I plead in extenuation” (Remarque 211).

Extenuation- a partial excuse to mitigate censure; an attempt to represent an offense as less serious than it appears by showing mitigating circumstances

War is primarily a result of the political disagreements that different nations pose against each other that causes an unethical amount of toil from the average citizen of a nation. This political aspect is demonstrated by the picture of Uncle Sam holding up two signs saying, “Work,” and, “Fight”. This crucial aspect of the cartoon demonstrates America’s need for their citizens to work for them as a result of their disagreements with surrounding nations. Similarly Uncle Sam is show to be grasping a rifle as well a shovel and sledgehammer in his two hands. This characteristic of the cartoon comes to show that the United States expects its people to fight for their country as well as work hard when times of war arrive. These demonstrations within the cartoon overall come to present that during times of war nations disregard the welfare of their citizens and enforce labor upon them.

Reunion
October 5, 1917

My luck has turned as I have been sent to guard a village in which I have been reunited with my friends. For three weeks we have been eating and enjoying ourselves. After three weeks pass we are sent to evacuate. In the process I was shot in the leg. The pain was unbearable. As I write this I still feel the intense pain. I have also come to learn that my dear friend Albert has died from a mere leg injury. I hope that is not what the future holds in store for me. I now first hand have experienced the pain that comes along with warfare. I have learned that my friends are dying of minor injuries due to the malpractice of the doctors at the military hospital. They treat us like guinea pigs left to die…






“Tjaden has become so fastidious that he only half smokes his cigars.” (Remarque 238).

Fastidious- excessively particular, critical, or demanding; hard to please

“On the way we meet the fleeting inhabitants trundling their goods and chattels along with them in their wheelbarrows” (Remarque 239).

Trundling- to move or run on a wheel or wheels





War is an entity that cannot be abolished simply through words due to the fact that many different disagreements between numerous nations that lead up to it. This political aspect is demonstrated through the two men who are shown to be representing the League of Nations who are stuck in a trench in the middle of warfare. This aspect of the cartoon explains that during the times of WWI the League of Nations is unable to make any plans to prevent the war from causing further nation. Similarly the two men within the confines of the trench are shown to be having a conversation about finding a better hole. This atmosphere created within the cartoon serves a metaphor to explain that the League of Nations cannot conjure any better plans that the ones they have now to prevent further warfare. Overall, it is presented that when war occurs, nations cannot take any other further precautions to prevent more devastation from warfare.


The Last Battle
September 6, 1918

We have been sent to the front again. I mourn as those around me are dying. This is the last time I will ever see them, it truly is the end. Muller has died and many others are injured. Battles go on until summer. My dead friend and best friend Kat has sustained a back wound and has now died. Of all the classmates that have gone to war with me I am the only one living… This has been the worst feeling of my life to lose all those I love dearly. No one can comprehend the sorrow that I have. I can solemnly tell you that this these past months I have learned nothing but death. When friends dear to you die, it tears your life away…


“Our life alternates between billets and the front” (Remarque 271).

Billets- A position of employment; a job

“Anyone might have known that his flight was only homesickness and a momentary aberration” (Remarque 277).

Aberration- the act of departing from the right, normal, or usual course.



In times of war nations around the world percept their own citizens as pawns in order to do their own bidding to achieve a political standpoint. This worldwide aspect is exemplified within the cartoon by a man whose shadow represents that of a soldier within war. This aspect of the cartoon serves as military standpoints to show that all civilians should be brought into war if they have the abilities to fight and think similarly to a soldier. Consequently the cartoon presents the man as a common individual who percepts his shadow surprisingly. This characteristic of the cartoon serves as a ploy to expose the surprised nature of individuals when they hear that they must participate in the violent nature of warfare. Overall this comes to show that when times of war arrive nations may conspire to execute surprising plans.














Death
October 13, 1918

It has been a while and I have been sent to the front alone. In these harsh times of war the older generations will not understand all that I have gone through. Of all my friends I am the only one remaining and how I must tell you this is terrible. *Paul Baumer died October 1918 when he was shot ruthlessly at the front. He died with many regrets in his life…


“Everyone talks of peace and armistice” (Remarque 293).

Armistice- a temporary suspension of hostilities by agreement of the warring parties; truce


“But perhaps all this that I think is mere melancholy and dismay, which will fly away as the dust” (Remarque 294).

Melancholy- a gloomy state of mind, esp. when habitual or prolonged








Many times nation can turn common individuals into pawns to commit deeds of violence in order to achieve a picture perfect society through acts of war. This dominating aspect is demonstrated within the political cartoon by the lady shown in a uniform sitting on a couch. This central aspect of the cartoon comes to show that in times of war the common setting of peoples’ lives are warped drastically. Similarly, the cartoon portrays the woman’s husband greeting his wife in a casual tone. This aspect of the cartoon is used to explain that in times of war many different entities can be interpreted as a result of the drastic measures used by nations worldwide. Overall, this comes to show that the lives of individuals endeavor acts of violence in order to have a positive outcome.

This journal was recovered in 1920.

No comments: