Monday, November 12, 2007

Writing Extension

Paul Baumer
213 The Western Front
Berlin, Germany 8713



The Baumers
1351 Wind-Shaw Ave.
Döbern, Germany 8564

To My Dear Family,

I write to you mom as well as my beloved sister with not much time on my hands. I have been relieved from the front and hope you will take the time to read this message. I will start out saying that times have been rough in war, as me and my friends have endured many harsh events. Do not worry, I have not been injured in anyway whatsoever. Similarly life at the front has had its toll on us because rations have been numerous yet scarce at the same time. I am laughing as I am writing this, but I must tell you war would be much better if more food was available.

These are just a few of the many hardships that war has placed upon me. I am grateful to god that my family does not have to experience the pain that I must endure. From what I am saying you may worry so I will say that I have also enjoyed the precious time that I have had with my friends. These times of war will not stand in the way of my friends or my beloved family this I promise you.

Time is running short so I must bid you a farewell. My commander is calling me to have some food with him before we depart to the front. Please promise to write back to me and tell me how you guys are doing. I will always remember your kind smile mother and what you told me, “Be strong, be safe my son.”

P.S. Sister and Father Stay healthy for me and take care of mother. I will come back home shortly after I have been relieved from the front permanently.
With Devotion to you,

Paul Baumer





Siegfried Sassoon (1886-1967) "How to Die"

Dark clouds are smouldering into red

While down the craters morning burns.

The dying soldier shifts his head

To watch the glory that returns;

He lifts his fingers toward the skies

Where holy brightness breaks in flame;

Radiance reflected in his eyes,

And on his lips a whispered name.

You'd think, to hear some people talk,

That lads go West with sobs and curses,

And sullen faces white as chalk,

Hankering for wreaths and tombs and hearses.

But they've been taught the way to do it

Like Christian soldiers; not with haste

And shuddering groans;

but passing through it

With due regard for decent taste.


This poem in respect explains many of the feelings that are acquired at the front. Similarly Paul experiences the same feelings of a sorrowful state of mind as those around him die mercilessly. This poem mimics Paul’s insight towards war and how it brings the darkest feelings out in a man.










Harvest of Battle, C.R.W. Nevinson, 1919


The following piece of art is a suitable choice to express the mood of the novel, All Quiet on the Western Front. Within the picture there is a mood of death expressed which can be interpreted from the dead corpses drawn all around the battlefield. The novel makes use of death in an explicit manner to add on to Paul Baumer’s overall feelings throughout the novel. Similarly within the piece of art above, there are ravaging fires and injured survivors attempting to flee from the front. This overall action is a primary focus that is used within the novel when Paul tells his story from the trenches. These aspects of the art above truly demonstrate what Paul experiences through a visual approach in contrast of words. Overall it can be concluded that the art above incorporates the explicit manner of the words from the novel in a visual format.

No comments: